As I went to the opening night of Spamalot at The Playhouse Theatre, London in November 2011, I simply HAD to go to its closing night too. Would've be rude not to! And as usual, I took a few friends along with me. (I have promoted the show SO MUCH over the years on Twitter, Facebook, my blog and virtually to everyone I meet, I really should have worked out a commission deal with the producers back in 2007! I'd be loaded by now! Oh well. That wasn't why I was promoting it. The fact is, Spamalot is the funniest and most brilliant show I've ever seen, and I wanted others to enjoy it too.)
As the title of this blog post suggests, it wasn't the first Spamalot closing night I've been to. I also witnessed the end of Spamalot's run at The Palace Theatre (the executive version) back in January 2009.
|With Jodie Prenger in April 2011|
|James Bisp |Robin Armstrong | Michael Burgen|
Graham MacDuff with Harry in 2007,
with me in 2011 and last night
I think last night was the 16th time I'd seen the show. To be honest, I've lost count! If you really wanted to see every blog post of every performance of Spamalot I went to, then click here, but I'd understand if just wanted to see the highlights:
- 25/01/07 - Spamalot: my first time (at the Palace Theatre)
- 12/02/08 - Nina Söderquist appears as the Lady of the Lake for the first time
- 04/01/09 - The last performance at The Palace Theatre
- 02/04/11 - One of the many times I saw Spamalot on its UK tour
- 04/10/12 - A performance at the Harold Pinter Theatre
- 21/11/12 - Opening night at The Playhouse
- 27/08/13 - Michael Palin appears in person as God
Do you think Spamalot will return next year as part of the 40th anniversary of Monty Python and the Holy Grail? I hope it does!